Field of Dreams, Childrens Centre
Field of Dreams is a registered NGO.
The organisation was established to redress the extreme poverty, unemployment and social problems ravaging the remote communities in Hartebeespoort area. The communities are characterised by impoverished households, disintegrated families, child-headed households and the lack of service provision. The organisation’s programmes are designed to address some of the Sustainable Development Goals 2030; this includes ending poverty, ending hunger, promoting good health and well-being, provision and promotion of quality education, reduced inequalities, clean water and sanitation, and climate action.
The organisation believes in a developmental approach to service delivery, this means working in partnership with the community, fostering democratic participation, economic empowerment (through educational programs and employment opportunities as well as empowering them to help themselves while moving away from the philanthropic approaches of ‘hand-outs’). This empowers the community in the long-term to be self-initiating, self-sustaining and be in control of their own development.
To build a community centre which will provide social services and relevant counselling to underprivileged communities in Hartebeespoortdam.
Lee den Hond the founder of the organisation grew up in Pretoria. She started her epic fundraising journey to build the centre by becoming the third South African woman to summit Mount Everest in honour of the cause.
“My journey to the top of Everest was, in part, to satisfy my quest for adventure – but I knew I wanted to make this experience greater and do it to benefit others. With this driving force in mind, I set the goal of building the children’s centre” Lee den Hond.
Building of the centre started symbolically on the second anniversary of Lee’s Mt. Everest Summit. Ground was broken on the 19th of May 2015 and the centre was completed on the 5th of December 2015.
GOAL AND OBJECTIVES
Our Goal is to be enablers and leaders in community development through empowering, educating and upskilling children, the youth and adults. We also aim to provide quality healthcare, psycho-social support and socio-economic opportunities to communities as well as being active participants in the promotion and provision of basic human rights.
- To run and support early childhood facilities and learning centres with the aim of ensuring quality learning and teaching, as well as appropriate development for children,
- To create relevant programmes and opportunities for the youth and adults, especially upskilling and socio-economic programmes,
- To provide quality healthcare to impoverished communities through infrastructure development and the provision of trained officials,
- To actively participate in the promotion and provision of basic human rights such as education, shelter, water and sanitation etc. which plays a major role in breaking the poverty cycle in many impoverished families,
- Partnering with other Non-Profit Organisations/Companies, private companies and the government in the effort to provide quality services to communities.
OUR CORE VALUES
- Honesty & Integrity,
- Transparency and,
What Drives Us
The main vision of field of dreams is creating a child focused centre that encourages children to be children and allows them to believe that anything is possible whilst fostering socio-economic growth and sustainability through a variety of community initiatives and projects.
We stand by our motto: no child will leave hungry, no adult will leave un-enriched.